Antingham and Southrepps Primary School, a grade two listed building, was built in 1826 by Lord Suffield for the children of the workers on his estate.
Since then, the Victorians have added a ‘modern’ extension (the present Library and adjoining classroom) and the headteacher’s house has been incorporated into the rest of the building. In December 2011 we saw the completion of a new teaching block for the Foundation Stage, Years 1 and 2. This fantastic new teaching space houses two classrooms which have, interactive whiteboards and special lighting, toilets and a drying room. There is also a purpose built outside area for play which includes a special all weather area, large sandpit, raised beds for gardening, a mud kitchen, and a path for bikes and scooters as well as a large grass area for play.
The playground has been developed to provide increased play and learning opportunities. It includes equipment such as climbing frames, an outdoor stage, tables and seating, an outdoor classroom for younger pupils, a garden and pond. We use the neighbouring woodland and nature reserve as an extension to the school grounds. We value this resource and work closely with the local Parish Council and Common’s Committee to improve facilities. We are continually looking at ways of using the outdoor environment to enrich pupils’ learning and have built an outdoor shelter to enhance our work in the school grounds. A stimulating school environment is a vital element in motivating pupils and teaching them to respect their surroundings.